May 2017 200 Hour Teacher Training
Shanti Yoga Studio, Kauai, Hawaii. May 1st – May 24th, $2500 USD
Spend 200 hours immersed in the blissful world of yoga on the beautiful North Shore of Kauai.
Brilliant instruction, Remarkable progression. We invite you to come study with us.
Our training instructors are unsurpassed in technique and delivery. Drawing upon rich & wonderfully varied backgrounds, our teachers infuse the yoga practice with elegant and skillful alignment techniques.
Studio Director Joy Morrell has studied yoga for 40 years. Joy’s depth of compassion and intuitive teaching style enriches the training experience. Joy teaches Therapeutics, Alignment and Yoga Anatomy in such a way that even students with little anatomy background are absorbed into the world of biomechanics with ease. Students coming to Training with anatomy backgrounds are no less delighted by the refreshing delivery and yoga specific postural anatomy section of the Training. Joy Morrell and Avalon Funk form a powerful teaching team, each sharing their specific skill sets, guiding Training students into the richness of the practice. Learning from a group of instructors with this level of skill and refinement is highly effective, and creates the most well rounded teachers possible.
Throughout the month students are drawn more fully into the brilliance of the Asana, the profound rebalancing of the Pranayama & calm centering found in the practice of Meditation. With great care and devotion, our training instructors instill alignment techniques, finesse and confidence in students as they begin to open the door to teaching. The bright personalities and friendly open nature of our entire staff creates ease for students and makes the experience fun.
Our unique training schedule provides time for study, and ample time to explore the stunning North Shore of Kauai.
Week I – Connecting to yoga
- Developing a Daily Yoga Practice.
- Alignment Principles: The Power of the Aligned Spine.
- Iyengar vs. Pattabhi Jois: Precision vs. Breath.
- Modern Yoga.
- The Paths of Yoga.
- Pranayama Introduction: The Power of Breath.
- Meditation: Introduction to Techniques.
- Introducing Yoga History.
- Introducing Yoga Philosophy.
- The Energy of Yoga.
- Introducing Ethics.
- Teaching with the Breath.
- Beginning Teaching Technique: Symmetrical Postures and Asymmetrical Postures-Creating Balanced Action.
- Observation Games in Simple Postures.
- Teaching Simple Sun Salutations.
- Introduction to Functional Anatomy
- Understanding Biomechanics of Movement
Week II: Enriching understanding & discovering the teacher within
- Tapping into the Enrichment of the Daily Practice.
- Inversion Workshop.
- Backbend Workshop.
Yoga History & Philosophy
- Focused History and Philosophy: Classical and Tantra.
- Introducing Ayurveda
- Determining Doshas: Seeing Types of Students.
- Opening to Grace: Deeper Layers of the Yoga Practice.
- Introduction to Yin Yoga and the benefits of Restorative Yoga.
- Pre and Post Natal Yoga.
- Ethics in Practice
- Level II Teaching Technique: Sequencing and Transitions.
- Learning to Articulate Concisely.
- Types of Language.
- Developing Observation Skills.
- Designing Classes
- Anatomy Level II
- Respiratory Anatomy
Week III: Deepening the practice, being the teacher.
- Advancing the Daily Practice.
- The Brilliance of the Ashtanga Practice
Yoga History & Philosophy
- The Upanishads
- The Sutras: Applying Ancient Wisdom to Modern Day Yoga
- The Chakras, Nadis, and Energetic Body
- Themes: Adding Meaning to Classes
- The Business of Yoga: Creating Success
- Ethical Business Practices
- Deepened Pranayama
- Refining Technique: The Teaching Practice.
- Designing Routines for Private Clients.
- Developing a Private Intake
Week IV: Revealing a powerful teacher.
The Final Days of Study:
- The Daily Asana Practice Fully Revealed: Drawing Inspiration from Daily Self Practice.
- Finding Your Voice: Practice, Practice, Practice
- Refining Teaching Technique: Tutorials & Small Class Practices.
- Supported Debrief & Evaluations.